Whitman School, Tacoma, Wash.
Whitman School 1st
A postcard of Whitman School. Conflicting records place it at both 1211 S. 40th St. and 1120 S. 39th St. Built in 1892, demolished in 1940 or damaged by the 1949 earthquake and rebuilt in 1952. Named for Walt Whitman, later after Narcissa and Marcus Whitman. First brick school in Tacoma School District.